Yes yes, I know I haven’t been keeping up very well with Strawberry Singh’s Monday Memes but this month has been very very busy for me (even if it is only the 6th!) with all these events opening up. I love covering events, even if I’m not an official blogger for them because I get to show off a huge variety of great designers and even snag a few bargains while I’m at it. But today is going to be a little bit different because I wanted to do Berry’s Blogging Journey challenge and the ‘Why do I blog’ meme all in one. In case you weren’t aware, I started this blog on May 10th 2013 so in 4 days time, I will have been blogging for a whole year. I feel like now’s as good a time as ever to do a blogger-related challenge! Today’s post will be a long one but I think it will give you guys a better insight into why I do what I do and why I love doing it!
Meme instructions: Copy and paste the following questions and answers to your post, delete my answers and input your own. Try not to swear at Berry in your head for having so many questions this week and don’t forget to leave a comment in this meme’s post so others can come by and read your answers as well!
- How long have you been blogging? Since May 10th 2013, 11 months.
- Why did you start blogging? I’ve always really liked fashion in SL even when I was but a noob. I’d take really crappy screenshots of the outfits I make and put them on flickr. But when people started asking me where I got certain things from, I decided to write credits in the description. So I guess I kind of started blogging before I even knew I was blogging!
- How many times a week do you post an entry? I used to blog daily. 7 Days a week (I love blogging that much) but recently time hasn’t been on my side, so I try and at least put out 3 per week.
- How many different blogs do you read on a regular basis? The ones I read regularly are Inara Pey, Jo Yardley and Strawberry Singh because I like to keep updated as to what’s happening on the grid. But I usually read fashion blogs when I see a photo I like on flickr and want to find where the credits are/whose blog it belongs to! I also read the blogs I keep on my blogroll as well.
- Do you comment on other people’s blogs? Yes! If it’s something informative or I get a pingback or even if it’s just something that I absolutely love then I let the author know their work is appreciated.
- Do you keep track of how many visitors you have? Not really. I don’t care much for numbers so I don’t look at the visit count on my stats. What I do absolutely keep track of though is where on the web people are coming from, where they’re going to next when they click on my blog and what they’re searching for when they find me.
- Did you ever regret a post that you wrote? Thankfully so far no haha! What I do regret was my fashion sense when I first started though. “What was I thinking when I wore that!?” is often what I say to myself when I look back through my old posts.
- Do you think your readers have a true sense of who you are based on your blog? I like to think so. I’m a bright and bubbly person who is mad for clothes and I think that’s very apparent in my blog haha!
- Do you blog under your real name? Nope! Very few people know my real name. And I like to keep it that way.
- Are there topics that you would never blog about? Well since I’m a fashion blogger, I rarely touch on subjects like travel and technology unless it directly relates to what I’m talking about. I do reviews occasionally but again, fashion related.
- What is the theme/topic of your blog? Fashionfashionfashionfashion.
- Do you have more than one blog? If so, why? I have a Tumblr but it’s basically just for publicising and occasionally reblogging SL-related things. Otherwise this is my main blog. Tumblr was originally where X2L was born before I imported all the posts into WordPress though.
- What have you found to be the benefits of blogging? It’s very therapeutic. If I’m having a hard day then the first thing I do is log on and make an outfit (or 6…). It’s also helped me to improve on my writing and photography skills and I’ve learnt a lot about the technical side of mesh and the SL viewer. If you asked me about UV maps and anti-aliasing this time last year, I would have looked mega-confused.
- So, why do you continue to blog? Simply put; Because I love it. It relaxes me and it helps me improve and it’s so much fun!
Meme instructions: Copy and paste the following questions and answers to your post, delete my answers and input your own. Don’t forget to leave a link to your post in the comments so others can come by and read your answers as well!
- Which electronic devices do you use to blog with? I only write posts/take photos on my laptop but I do use my mobile and my tablet to check on social media if I’m out and about or maybe post a short update on Tumblr.
- Do you have a mission statement for your blog, if so, what is it? When I first started, it was to find affordable fashion for people who were new to SL and wanted to escape from their noob state as quickly as possible. But now it’s more of a showcase of what I love. I’m a shopaholic so if I buy something that I’ve completely fallen in love with, then I’ll want to share it with everyone.
- How do you feel about blogs that use their platforms to spread negativity? I’ve been steering clear of them for a while now. I think it’s silly and a waste of time plus I don’t really understand what people get out of being negative.
- Are you a grammar junkie? Do you thoroughly check your blog for errors before posting and/or do you judge other people’s posts if they contain errors? Not really a junkie but I’ve gotten into the habit of using good grammar and spelling anyway. Obviously we all make mistakes so If I spot an error after a post has been published, then I’ll go back and correct it to prevent confusion. I know what I meant to say but others might not, so it’s important to practice good spelling and grammar.
- If you could switch blogs with another blogger who would it be? Zee. Definitely Zee. Because she’s really funny and a fantastic decorator. I wish I could decorate houses as well as she can. And the patience that woman has with crediting furniture and decor is astonishing.
- Has your blog/blogging style evolved over the year(s)? How? Definitely. When I first started, I was literally just writing the name of the item in a Flickr description. No links, no text, nothing else. But since starting up my blog on Tumblr and then eventually moving onto WordPress, I’ve been writing more about products and events, what I like about them, what I don’t like about them etc.
- What is the most extraordinary thing that has happened to you because of blogging? Probably how many friends I’ve made. I think it’s really amazing that I’ve met more like-minded people and made more friends over the course of 11 months than in my first two years in SL. Blogging really made me come out of my shell and now I meet and talk to new people daily and make new friends from all over the world. That’s quite cool.
- When it comes to Second Life blogs, there are different styles: Fashion bloggers, Lifestyle & Travel bloggers, Informative bloggers, and more. Which style do you prefer and where do you feel your blog fits in? I prefer fashion and I fit into fashion. I live and breathe SL fashion. There are a lot of lifestyle and travel blogs that I enjoy reading too but fashion runs through my veins haha!
- What has blogging taught you? Blogging has taught me not to take negativity too seriously. There will always be people who will try and bring you down and it’s important to just move past it and don’t take it to heart.
- Share your top 3 tips for new bloggers. Step out of your comfort zone, be adventurous/creative and don’t be put off doing what you love by a few negative comments.